Here is what I’m currently doing with my life.
I’m the Director of Research & Education at Altmetric, a data science company that uncovers the attention that research receives online. My research interests include incentives systems and values in academia, and I have written and presented widely about altmetrics, Open Science, and library services.
- HuMetricsHSS: I’m working with a motley crew of amazing humanists and librarians to define and drive adoption for more “humane” metrics in the humanities and social sciences.
- Metrics Toolkit: I’m building this “no bullshit” guide to the proper use of research metrics along with Heather Coates (IUPUI) and Robin Champieux (OHSU), thanks to the support of the Force11 Innovation Challenge grant.
- Library Pipeline: I chair Library Pipeline’s board, as well as the Innovation and Startups committee. I also volunteer for the Green Open Access Working Group.
- The Idealis: I co-founded and launched this open access, overlay journal for scholarly communication research in March 2017.
- Generally, I spend a lot of time walking around the mesas of New Mexico, feeding bananas to my pet chihuahuas, and thinking about and doing the stuff I’ve listed on this /now page.
- Python and front-end development: I’ve mostly given up on R for the time being and am teaching myself Python and making my way through the FreeCodeCamp curriculum instead. You can follow my progress on my #100DaysofCode journal.
- Krav maga: I’ve been studying this Israeli self-defense skill for over a year.
- Homebrewing: I’ve been homebrewing beer and wine since 2012. I use BrewersFriend to manage and share my beer recipes.
This page is inspired by Belle Beth Cooper.
Last updated June 16, 2017.